Monday, October 5, 2009

mmmmm....Zuppa Toscana Soup

I get my soup fix while Greg is gone. I love to eat soup -Greg doesn't. Soup is healthy (usually) and freezes well. I make a big pot and eat soup until I'm tired of it and freeze the rest. My neighbor came over to use my stand mixer to make butter cream frosting for a birthday cake she was making. In return for letting her use my stand mixer she left me a pint of cream and some sugar (I love free food)

I was tempted to make ice cream with the cream but when I saw kale on sale for 97 cents a bunch I thought of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana Soup. I read a few recipes online and than decided to just wing it and make my own-it turned out so yummy. This was my first time adding cream to soup-I usually make a roux or add milk to make a creamy soup. I wouldn't put this soup on the top of my healthy foods list but it sure is yummy. It's been a while since I've been to Olive Garden so I can't really compare flavors but I think my version is pretty good. It's heavy on the kale and light on the sausage-to make me feel better about eating it. It's delicious!

I think if I served it as a first course to a meal-Greg would like it (he just hates soup as "the meal")

Photobucket

No comments: