Sunday, December 2, 2007

Yogurt Pie

I hate cool whip or it's generic equivalent, I'm more of an all-natural whipped cream kind of gal. When I find a recipe with cool whip I usually pass it by. Yogurt pie is one recipe that I can put aside my distaste of cool whip for. Growing up my mother often made yogurt pie it tasted great, was incredibly quick to put together and rarely cost more than a few dollars. After finding a forgotten graham cracker pie shell in the pantry (bought on sale and with coupon several weeks ago for only $0.35) and feeling a little homesick yesterday I made Yogurt pie. I had to go to the grocery store but was pleasantly surprised to find cool whip on sale for only $0.69 I picked up some yogurt too. Once home, I whipped up the pie in about 2 minutes. To make Yogurt Pie you mix together one small tub of cool whip with two 8 oz containers of any flavor yogurt (I used mixed berry and blue berry) pour into graham cracker pie shell, cover and let set in fridge 4-6 hours or until set. This is by far the quickest dessert I've ever made. I couldn't really wait a few hours, after two hours I cut myself a slice, it was so good but my slice didn't hold it's pretty shape well.
You can't complain about the taste, cost, or ease of this recipe my only concern is the yogurt and cool whip is loaded with high-fructose corn syrup which we try to avoid at our house and is one of the reasons we switched to homemade yogurt instead of store bought.

1 Graham cracker pie shell on sale for $0.99 with $0.65 coupon only $0.34
1 small tub of generic cool whip on sale for $0.69
2 8 oz tubs of yogurt $0.50 each

Total cost of pie: $2.03

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love yogurt Pie. I think make some for dessert tonight.