Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cooking Class Disaster!

I've been teaching a cooking class, it's been a lot of fun and I've met a lot of neat people but today I had a Cooking Class Disaster! The theme of today's class was healthy snacking. I made my healthy oatmeal cookies with flax seed and wheat germ ahead of time that way participants could taste them but I wouldn't be strapped for time to make them during the class and I really wanted the oven for my granola bars the highlight of my class. I made the granola bars first so that way we could move on while they were baking. Usually I haul all of the ingredients from my pantry to the class and I make several trips to and from my car, this time around I decided to consolidate and I mixed up all my dry ingredients for the granola bars ahead of time, that way I would only have to bring the liquid ingredients and I could leave my boxes and bags of flour and other ingredients at home. It was a pretty good idea, except that I forgot to add the oatmeal (A key ingredient) and of course I didn't bring the ingredients with me because I was saving space and time by mixing it ahead of time. I also forgot my mixing bowl, so while teaching the class I'm trying to stir together granola batter in a short square Tupperware container and right away I realize that the batter doesn't look right, it's awfully liquidey, and when I poured it into my baking pan I saw that I had about half the amount of batter that I normally do and it doesn't really look like the granola bars that I've made several times in this past. And right after I put it in the oven I realized that I forgot to add the oatmeal the MOST important ingredient. I went ahead and baked them anyways, it turned out like a fruity nutty unrisen cake. I apologized several times and told everyone in the class that they really were tasty granola bars and they should try and make them again at home.

The rest of my snacks took a whopping 15 minutes to make so we stood around and waited for my granola bar disaster to finish baking. We had ants on a log (celery with peanut butter and raisins) we made yogurt parfaits, and veggie sticks with homemade ranch dip. I felt terrible just standing around and waiting,I'm usually over prepared and we have too much to make and eat.

worst class ever, if I was a student, I wouldn't come back.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. When in a class like that, it's nice for me to see that there are others (like me) who are normal and make mistakes. Not only do we learn from our own mistakes, but we can also learn from others mistakes. Learning tolerance, how to forgive errors from others and ourselves is a good lesson too.