Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bagels





In the mood for making bagels but lacking my favorite baking cookbook, I headed over to Tammy's Recipes where I was first inspired to make bagels months ago. Surprisingly I've never made Tammy's Bagels, my first and only recipe came from my baking cookbook and it was so successful (well...except for the one time I forgot the salt) that I've never tried any other recipe. Tammy's recipe was spot on, the bagels were delicious and satisfying. For the first time I tried making a variety of bagels, I made Cinnamon Raisin, Sesame, Onion with Poppy seeds, and of course a few Plain. My Cinnamon Raisin Bagels were a disaster, they didn't form nicely and fell apart during the boiling stage, my guess is that I mixed in to much stuff in the dough-I added brown sugar to the raisin cinnamon mixture to make it sweeter but it just made the dough sticky and hard to work with. Needless to say they didn't make it into the picture as I had fears someone would see them and decide never to make bagels if that's how they turn out. My suggestion is to forget mixing in stuff and just top the bagels with any additions you desire. I may try a Parmesan flavored bagel next time.

No comments: