Monday, March 10, 2008

My Mom's Yummy Taco Casserole

Last night I made taco casserole, it's so easy and yummy. It's a recipe dear to me because it was given to me from my mom. I haven't made it in at least 3 years. When my husband asked about it, I had to shoot my mom an e-mail for the recipe as I had misplaced mine. This meal is especially nice for leftovers, I spoon the casserole mixture onto tortillas the next day and make quesadillas, super easy. The recipe uses instant rice, which I confess is something I had to go to the store for, lucky for me it was on sale and I had a coupon. I changed it up a bit and added a can of diced tomatoes since I had them on hand. Here's the recipe:

1 lb of ground beef cooked
1 can of whole corn drained
1 can small sliced olives
1 can diced green chilies
1 package of taco season.
1 1/2 cup of instant rice-make sure it is instant you can use brown instant if you want
2 cups of water
1 cup of cheddar cheese save some to top

Cook ground beef and drain the fat, mix in taco seasoning according to package directions. Mix everything a large bowl place in a casserole dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 375. Top with some cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.

As a bonus this recipe freezes very well.

No comments: