Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Oatmeal Fruit Bars - So Easy and Oh So Good!


I have just made some treats to take to a function tomorrow. Being stuck in my frugal ways I'm not about to go out and buy a treat to take nor am I willing to buy ingredients for something. Call me funny but without advance notice or planning, I'm likely to use what I have on hand and be creative. I have six boxes, that's right six boxes of white cake mix. Greg doesn't like cake and I don't need to eat cake so every time I look in the pantry I wonder why I bought them. Then I remember that I got them for free with a great sale and perfectly matching coupons (it pays to stock up on the same coupon). When it came time to make treats I decided I should use up some of that cake mix. Thanks to a variation on Raspberry Oatmeal Bars from Allrecipes.com I am down two boxes of cake mix (only four to go) and I have a fantastic super tasty treat, with more than enough servings to go around.

Here's how I made my Oatmeal Fruit Bars:

1. Mixed two boxes of white cake mix, one cup of melted butter, 1/2 cup oil, and 5 cups oatmeal. The mixture should be crumbly and moist
2.Pressed 2/3 of the mixture into a greased large rimmed baking sheet (11x15 I think)
3. Mixed one 10 oz jar of cherry jam and about 1/2 jar (5oz?) blackberry jam with 2 Tablespoons of water and spread evenly over pressed crust
4.Sprinkled the remaining cake mix mixture over the jam layer
5. Baked in a preheated oven (375 degrees) for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

These turned out so good and are so yummy. I have regrettably already eaten 3 bars, (small ones) They are not "cakey" more like a cookie bar. I can't wait to share them tomorrow, I'm sure they'll be a big hit, I really like them.

No comments: