Monday, April 21, 2008

Homemade Pasta


Sunday afternoon was a bit lazy and easy going, I ventured into the kitchen to try something new and daring. I dug out my pasta roller and made some raviolis from scratch. Really tasty but super time consuming (probably becuase it was my first time making raviolis). I was inspired to start making fresh pasta after reading a Martha Stewart Living article about a year ago, I have the paper version torn from the magazine stored with my pasta roller. I use the Kitchen Aid Mixer Stand attachment, and it works really well. Making the pasta dough is really easy, you can roll it out by hand but having a pasta roller or pasta machine really helps out.

On a clean counter mound 2 cups flour, make a well in the center and add 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix together and knead dough until smooth and satiny, I had to add more flour but I live in a very humid climate. Let the dough rest about an hour before rolling out into sheets.

To make raviolis I took similar sized sheets of pasta dough (some I cut to size using a pizza cutter) I placed teaspoon sized mounds of cheese filling on one sheet of pasta and topped the filling with another sheet of pasta dough. It helps to use a little water to "glue" the dough together. (just dip your finger in water and apply around the filling) Make sure there is no air in the ravioli or it will burst open when cooking. I used my pizza cutter again to cut apart the squares of filled pasta. Place the finished raviolis on a floured baking pan or cooling rack to dry for about an hour, I covered them with a tea towel.

Fresh pasta cooks up much quicker than dried (a couple of minutes) when you boil fresh pasta start testing for doneness early, The raviolis seemed to be done once they started floating.

I love making pasta and being in the kitchen. I like knowing that I can make something and it will turn out good, that being said I'm glad that I made raviolis but I probably won't be adding them to my weekly menus being that they take to long to make. Maybe if I find some ravioli molds at a yard sale or thrift store at a cheap price I'll try again and see if it goes any faster.

No comments: