Sunday, April 13, 2008

These feet were made for walking.....



You can't tell in the picture but I have a very noticeable tan line from my shoes, my feet are very white in comparison to my legs. Yesterday Greg and I went on a hike, I think the group leader or someone underestimated the difficulty of this hike. This was by far the most adventuresome hike I've ever been on, EVER! I'm talking about jumping over streams, sliding down steep hills, using rope to pull yourself up and hang on to avoid falling, wadding through tall plants where there was no discernible path. Our tour guide wore a BRIGHT yellow hat and more than once I was glad he did, as I felt lost sometimes. I had a ton of fun, I just had no idea what I was up against. There was a small stream we had to jump over, it was a good 5 feet or more, there was a branch that I could grasp for balance and another branch that could be used for a stepping stone of sorts, as the second person to get across I was holding up our group in trying to build up enough nerve to jump across, I have very little balance and coordination in me and I ended up falling off the stepping branch twice. My shoes and socks were soaked and Greg had a really good laugh. The hike started at 11 and we thought it would last roughly an hour, so we didn't eat lunch before we left and Greg requested that I not bring a big back pack full of "essentials." We didn't get home til nearly 4 o'clock, I was so hungry but at the same time I was glad not to have brought a bag as I probably would not have made it climbing up and down steep hills. At the end of our hike (or I guess you would say the middle) we rested and played around for about 45 minutes at a large waterfall (I forget the name of it) there was a fresh water lake or pond at the bottom of the falls and several people went swimming, even Greg jumped in despite the fact he had no swimming trunks. It was really pretty. Also on our hike we detoured a bit and walked to the "Tank Farm" where we saw a couple of very rusty and beat up WW2 tanks. I was upset that we didn't think to bring the camera. We'll take more hikes I'm sure and I'll will try to remember the camera.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had blast!

Hannah said...

This past summer I went hiking/rappelling at Zion National Park in Utah. My fiance's older, tougher, bad-ass-ier brother took us. It was the craziest and hardest thing I've ever done. On the second day of hiking, the brother woke us up and said, 'Alright, get ready.' We put on clothes and went... and the whole way to our drop-off point I was whispering, "Aren't we going to eat breakfast?!" We hiked 8 hours that day with no breakfast, no lunch. I thought I was going to die. But we saw some amazingly beautiful scenery, and I'd have to say it was totally worth it.

Sometimes it's so fun to be challenged, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing your story.

-Hannah (A fellow Company Girl)

Jamie said...

Sounds like quite the adventure!