Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Making Frozen Yogurt


I made Raspberry frozen yogurt yesterday, It is so good and so easy. Also a less guilty pleasure than ice cream. You'll need an ice cream maker, I use the Kitchenaid mixer attachment ice cream maker.
Here's how I made my frozen yogurt:
Take two cups of plain yogurt place in fine mesh strainer and let about 1/2 liquid drain off. Meanwhile mix 2 cups frozen raspberries or strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar, pulse in blender or food processor until coarsely chopped, set aside. Sprinkle 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (2 1/4 teaspoons) over 1/4 cup whole milk and let sit about 10 minutes to soften gelatin (I suppose you could try a flavored gelatin) In a sauce pan bring to a simmer 3/4 cup whole milk with 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. let cool 5 minutes. Add gelatin mixture and stir. Let cool to room temperature and than gently mix in the strained yogurt and berries. Refrigerate until cold and than poor into your ice cream maker and freeze as directed. Getting the mixture cold is really important, it helps your ice cream maker work better.

It seems like a lot of steps, but it's quite easy and well worth the reward. It was my first time using gelatin in frozen yogurt, I just happened to have some in my pantry from an old recipe. I think the gelatin helped give the frozen yogurt a creamy texture. Really fantastic! Plus it got the husband's seal of approval.

Go to Tammy's Recipes for Kitchen Tip Tuesday

2 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

This looks really good! :) Hopefully I'll get to try making it. Thanks!
Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

I was hoping someone would post on this.

I don't have attach for K-aid but I do have a little ice cream maker that hopefully will work!

Can't wait to try!
-Donna-
momsfrugal.blogspot.com