Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Impromtu Gifts and Frugal Packaging.

I save a lot of things that some people would say belong in the trash. Pretty much any food container that could possibly be reused is washed, dyed and put into a big box loaded with "trash" and saved for any future craft project or gift container.
I get excited when my container collecting pays off. Sunday night we were invited to a birthday gathering, celebrating two belated birthday's with some board games and good company. It was very impromptu and we were invited two hours before it started. I couldn't bear to show up empty handed with no gifts. I had cookie dough in the freezer (a huge time saver) in 20 minutes I had freshly baked cookies in the most adorable packaging made with a quickly stamped tag and a little ribbon to dress up my blue trays I found in the "trash" box ( mushroom containers from the grocery store). I just love reusing items, it's such a great way to save money, Plus my gift packaging is original and receives plenty of oohs and awes (boosting my ego just a wee bit)

Reusing packaging works for me.

for more Works for me Wednesday tips go to Rocks in My Dryer.

for more frugal tips go to Biblical Womanhood for Frugal Fridays

11 comments:

Marcia Francois said...

That is so great - I must say, I can't wait to get rid of those things but I do keep just a couple and you're right - it's a quick and easy gift-wrapping solution for food :)

Marcia, Organising Queen

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, I save all the containers too. I didn't think about using them as packaging... love it!

Heart of Wisdom said...

Awesome!!
Recycle, Reuse. This is wonderful and I am proud of you.

Good Job MOM!
Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Michie said...

That's a great idea - I just need to figure out where I'd store all the containers. I don't have much room right now.

Jen said...

I'm good at saving anything that could serve another purpose, but gift packaging is something I haven't done. Great job and it looks adorable!

Anonymous said...

This is a neat thing to do. You can save a lot making your own packing & it looks so much better & personal then store bought.

Jamie said...

You are oh so creative! Looks cute.

ames said...

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who stockpiles containers like I survived the Great Depression. I love my collections because I can go "shopping" for the perfect gift containers.

Cheri said...

I've been using our containers with lids to take to bible study each week. No one wants to take home the extra food from our dinner on paper plates, but when I bring containers for the leftovers, the table empties quickly! The really funny part is that they bring back the left over container so much quicker than anyone ever remembered to bring back "real" pans and plates!

Cheri said...

Oh - and I forgot. One lady in our bible study takes home the leftover plastic trays from store bought cookies. She uses them to mail homemade cookies to her deployed husband, claiming the cookies don't get as squished and crumbles like using them!

Niki Jolene said...

what a great idea!

:)